So...I have decided to make a plunge into veganism. More for my health than anything. I have a stomach ache and bloating constantly. And I struggle with my weight and other health issues. I want to feel better and thought it is something to try. A bit extreme maybe, but it fits with what I think I need. I can always go back and adjust right?
I already do not eat a lot of meat. Mainly because it is so expensive I keep my portions small and maybe have only once or twice a day, if at all. I already eat beans, legumes and other sources of protein so it is not going to be a harsh transition.
My vegetable intake is usually quite massive, I try to eat at least half my plate vegetables...sometimes all I eat is vegetables. Not the most balanced, but I will get there. I have a lot of frozen vegetables and fruit that I utilize daily. So I believe I more than get my suggested daily intake.
One of my issues is that I have huge portions, mostly because growing up we were never taught to eat in portions, we were allowed and encouraged to eat as much as we wanted. There is a lot of back story to that, but I am not willing to share those details today. But I do have a love/hate relationship with food because it is my mortal enemy. Maybe becoming vegan will help me like food.
Anyways, some of my biggest regrets would be letting go of cheese, eggs and I'm sure I will come across other foods I eat regular that I will not want to let go but know I should. I already am mostly gluten free, I am still transitioning from that - sometimes I have a bit of pasta or end up eating something by accident with it. I feel I have a gluten intolerance as I get very tired and sluggish when ever I have anything with gluten in it. Other times I get horrific stomach cramps.
On top of that I am lactose intolerance so I do not drink milk, and avoid most dairy. I do have ice cream sometimes and give myself a belly ache. I have butter and cheese in small portions, and usually am ok, but I can feel my body churning to process the cheese. Baking with dairy is ok in moderation but if it is a major component, I usually avoid.
Red meat gives me a stomach ache and I get very sleepy and sluggish, so I avoid eating that too. Pork makes me have chest pains - so I am not sure if I have the beginnings of Angina happening but despite a leaky heart valve, my heart is healthy.
The only meat I eat is poultry and fish. I even avoid processed meats for the most part. Occasionally I get a sub from Subway but that's soon to be of the past as well. I have taken a pledge to have no more fast food and no more snacks to try get my over eating/binge eating under control. Thing is, I don't even feel like I'm starving - I think I ate because I was bored and didn't need to eat as much as I thought I did.
I will miss fish. I love shrimp, salmon and all that. I may have a vegan diet with the fish - a pescatarian. I will see, maybe fish is the problem.
The transition has already started, and I have thought about it for a long time. I do have to take iron supplements with a B12 complex because I am an anemic, but if I can get these stomach issues under control, maybe I won't need them? I am just a infant in this and reading tons of material, learning what I can and talking to other vegans. At the end of the day, if I feel better, that is all that matters.
I will touch base - talk about my journey. My failures, my successes and my discoveries. What works for me, won't work for everyone. But I have to start somewhere.
Adios!
Comments
Post a Comment